Thursday, October 1, 2009

So Down Home




I'm not exactly what you would call a "beans and rice" kind of girl, but this CSA has taught me to stretch my normal food boundaries. It always ends up being a good idea.

Here's what I did a few nights ago:

With burner on medium high, place a large stock pot on the range

throw in 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp olive oil. once heated, add:
1/2 diced yellow onion
3 'soup bones' (beef bones with some meat still on them)

Sweat the onions and add a sprinkle of salt and pepper
Brown all sides of the beef.
Add 2 cups of water and heat until boiling.
To the boiling water, add:

1 1/2 lbs purple hull peas, shucked and rinsed well
3 more cups water
2 tsp fresh or dried flat leaf parsley

Heat to boiling again and turn heat to low, place lid on top of pot and simmer for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.

When the beans are about 30 minutes away from being done, begin to cook the rice and corn bread. I used Basmati cause it's all we had, though next time I would use a shorter grain. I used a Jiffy cornbread recipe cause it's my favorite. I also sauteed some green bell peppers in olive oil, but they ended up tasting grilled and it was weird. Sometimes cooking fails, and that's ok. The beans were super awesome though! And it ended up tasting just like a meal I would make if my husband was a cowboy and I was a downhome country wife. Giddyup!

No comments: