Thursday, September 24, 2009

Adventures in Peanuts














Lately our CSA has been giving us raw peanuts. As far as I know there are only several things to do with them: roast them, boil them, or fry them. Since we've gotten a quart of them for the last 2 weeks I thought I would try 2 of the 3 methods, roasting and boiling.

Here is the method I used for boiling them (original):

Place 6 cups water, 1/8 cup of salt, 1 tsp seasoning salt and 1 lb of Raw shelled peanuts in a large pot. Boil water, place lid on top of pot and turn heat to low/medium. Keep it at a high simmer for 3-4 hours. Drain and allow to dry on a sheet of paper towels.
I'm not a big fan of mushy peanuts so I don't think I'll do this again, but it was fun to try once, and even though they aren't incredible they're still pretty addicting.

Here is the method I used for roasting them (I made this up):

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Thoroughly rinse peanuts. Place on large rimmed baking sheet, sprinkle with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp sea salt. Bake for 25-35 minutes. (I had to check them every so often to see how crisp they were.) Next time I'll use more salt and slightly more oil.

No comments: